Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Self Tune Up!

I want to walk two half marathons this year!
I want to work on my weight .
I want to learn to love me and my spirit more.
I want to reinvent my job!

These are the goals that I had for myself this year. These are the things I wanted to accomplish. Well! I need a self tune up! I need to get back on the proverbial saddle.

Work: My job had been driving me crazy for over a year of so. I dreaded getting ready and going. Now have you, once I was there; it was fine. I hated the thought of missing the little moments at home. Since my children were born I'd only worked 40 hours a month. And starting last year I went up to 50 hours and now in 2008 60 hours. I went from two day trips, where I was home everyday to three day trips where I would be gone for one full day a week. I had issues with the job not be progressive. I felt like it's not a job where you use your thoughts. I mean outside of an emergency... I smile and help people... or give them drinks. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do that.

It was making me crazy. I some how thought the job was beneath me... sorta! You know... I thought, I am to smart to just wastes my life away not learning anything new. That even thought most flight attendants have degrees that their home lives were weird and they did not love their family the way I do... (There is a lot of loose activity in airlines. )

I decided to look at all the good things. I decide to change my thought process, thus creating a new job! I decided to enjoy my mini vacations. I decided to stop being a "slam-clicker" (Airline jargon for going straight to your room and not coming out til it was time to work again. Not be social) I decided to work smarter not harder. To take trips to places I enjoy! To use work as a vacation... a way to see my friends all over the US!

You see being a flight attendant affords me the ability to fly free or close to free anywhere the airline goes. I have excellent medical benefits and the ability to take and entire month off work each time I have a vacation in that month. I get to be a part of my kids everyday school activities and I don't need a sitter 98% of the time. I make upwards of $30 dollars and hour and I don't have a boss on the plane. I have been there just about 10 years and can retire with life time flight benefits in my 40's. Hello! The discounts that I have on travel are out of this world and my kids get to see my parents who live and hour flight away, constantly! More often then most people who live in the same city.

I am good at my job. Passengers stop me, hug me, send in letter about me. When my day is over at work. I just simply wash the stink of airplane off and I take another four or five days off till I do it again.

I revamped my thoughts about work. I like what I do. I have a job that most women have at one time wanted to do. I got the job, where most people try but fail to attain. Yeah, I am a flight attendant... but I am good at it.

As far as the loosing weight and the marathons go. I still can do it. I just want to walk the marathons I am not ready to run, them. Loosing weight is part of that process. That's a big part of learning to love me more.

I used to be that person that everyone was drawn too. Never the pretties or smartest or most fun. But, I had enough of those qualities to get by. I don't really need that in my life but I still need to feel capable of it. I am working on that! Now don't get me wrong. I am pretty darn cute! I am not stupid and have more common sense than any handful of people put together.
I also am still fun! (don't you agree?) I just need to settle in and get comfortable inside my own skin again! t

I can still do it! I just need a SELF TUNE UP!

12 comments:

Angela V. said...

You are a wonderful writer, very insightful and interesting. I am drawn to what you write about and I don't even know you...good luck with your goals, and it is ok to love your job, if it makes you happy, who cares what anyone else may think.

Carmen O. said...

I agree with Angela V. you really needn't care what others think. I can say that really well, but will I follow it? I need a tune up on life right now too! Thanks for sharing.

♥ said...

Good for you, for setting a goal and reaching for it!! Best of luck!!

Autumn said...

I love you just the way you are! Though goals are good. I get it. We all need to be better then the day before, then the week before. And I'm glad you're willing to give it a shot!

Good luck, my cute, fun and smart friend. :)

Ellie said...

Love the blog. I'd like to do a marathon too. I'm sure you love your job. My brother use to be a flight attendant too and he flew every where.

Anonymous said...

I think being a flight attendant sounds like a totally glam job, but most people think being a drink server at a casino is totally glam, plus they think we make bank in tips! Anyways, like you I have disliked my job for a long, long time, also like you I felt that it was beneath me (to an extent). My parents are constantly telling me that with my brains I can do sooo much better.

Since coming off of maternity leave, I have decided to be grateful with what I do have as opposed to what I don't. I have a job that pays well enough that I only have to work 2 or 3 days a week. I have a job that constitutes exercise. My co-workers (for the most part) are so much fun to hang out with.

Sorry this turned into such a looong comment.

PS You should post a pic of you in your flight attendant outfit!

PPS Are you going to host another blog challenge in July?

Anonymous said...

Wow,

I am so glad that I read you blog today. I never thought about walking a marathon. I am going to look into this.

I think that being a flight attendent is a wonderful job. It was something that I thought about doing at on point in my life. It is a very honarable job that allows you to use your gift of service.

Marsha said...

You go girl!! Take a vacation to MSP sometime

Helena said...

OOH I just love your post!!!! You rock!!!

Anonymous said...

I had a friend who wanted to be a flight attendant but it was in the days where they discriminated against someone who was not the right height, weight or look.

One of our friends (change of career) decided to do this and LOVES it.

Good luck on your goals!
Can you believe the year is almost half over?

Jen said...

I love how you changed your thought process about your job. I think that we all have things like that in our lives where sometimes we need to take a (mental) step back and say, "Now wait a minute here..." and start trying to look at the thing in a new way. YOu did that, and it sounds like you were very succesful. You go girl!

Anonymous said...

You are so brave! I don't know if I would have the courage to write the things that you do. You are also a stone cold trip. You crack my shit up girl.----G.N.